This article can be found at
but if it is no longer available, please read an excerpt below.
Sail into summer
From arts to zoo activities, camps offer a boatload of options
Wednesday, April 2, 2008 2:57 AM
BY KEVIN JOY
| THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
NOTE: This is an abbreviated version for our local area - please link above for the full article
It's true: Summertime was made for kicking back.
But maybe you're looking for a real escape. Or you want to learn a new skill, such as creative writing or horseback riding. Or you wouldn't mind brushing up on your tennis swing or softball pitch.
Where to go?
Young campers-to-be needn't go far: Dozens of camps in central Ohio offer plenty of activities to put a spark in summer.
NOW! has done the homework for you, researching dozens of fun, nearby options. (You can thank us later.)
The listings are grouped by subject, making similar options easy to find.
See something you like? Don't wait to sign up, as many camps fill quickly.
• Adventure Camp -- activities for first- through ninth-graders. Themes include "Knights and Castles," "Pirates and Treasure" and "Island Adventures." Weeklong full-day sessions (some with overnight stays) run July through early August at Camp Lazarus, 4422 Columbus Pike (Rt. 23), Delaware. Tuition: $285 to $435, with daily shuttle service from Worthington for a fee. (614-846-8946; www.adventurecenter.org)
• Farm Camp at Stratford Ecological Center -- caring for farm animals (including cows, pigs, goats and chickens), tending a garden and exploring a 236-acre organic farm, for ages 6 to 12. Weeklong, full- and half-day sessions (one with an ecology focus; the other on farm life) offered June through August at the center, 3083 Liberty Rd., Delaware. Tuition: $150 for ages 6 to 8; $185 for ages 9 to 12. (740-363-2548; www.stratfordecologicalcenter.org)
• Hoover Sailing Club Summer Youth Camp -- sailing lessons taught by certified staff members. One- and two-week camps offered for ages 7 to 16 from June 16- Aug. 15 at the club, 4250 Smothers Rd., Westerville. Tuition: $130 per week. (614-325-5634 www.hooversailing club.com/siinformation.htm)
• Metro Parks -- nature and adventure camps, including travel, woodland animals, golf and crafts, for preschoolers through ninth-graders. Weekly full- and half-day sessions run June through August at various Metro Parks. Tuition: $65 to $165. (614-891-0700; www.metroparks.net)
• 7Summits Day Camp -- adventure and educational activities to promote good decision-making, independence and self-reliance, for ages 6 to 16. Activities include ropes courses, kayaking, zip lines, giant swings, campfire cooking, service projects and nature exploration. Weeklong, full-day camps offered at Walnut Bluffs Outdoor Adventure Area, 8111 Schott Rd., Westerville. Tuition: $490 for ages 14 to 16; $290 for ages 10 to 13; $270 for ages 6 to 9. (614-403-3891; www.summit-vision.com)
• Summer Explorers Camp -- creek exploration, hiking, bug hunts and other nature activities. Four-day sessions for ages 8 to 12 take place in July and August at Gallant Woods Preserve, 2151 Buttermilk Hill Rd., Delaware. Tuition: $50. (740-595-3725; www.preservationparks.com)
• YWCA of Central Ohio -- field trips, games, crafts, dance, sports and more, for children ages 5 to 13 who have completed kindergarten through seventh grades. Full-day sessions run June through August at locations in New Albany and Westerville. Tuition: $150, plus $60 supply fee. (614-224-9121; www.ywcacolumbus.org)
• Delaware Arts Castle -- drama, dance, visual arts and creative-writing camps, for ages 4 to 15. Four- and five-day camps take place June and July at various locations in Delaware and Sunbury. Tuition: $75 to $158 for arts castle members; $85 to $160 for nonmembers. (740-369-2787; www.artscastle.org)
• Gallery 202 Art Classes -- instruction in paper-making, clay, color and painting, for ages 5 to 12. Students will also create a community art project. Weeklong, two-hour sessions run June through August at Gallery 202, 38 N. State St., Westerville. Tuition: $95, some scholarships available. (614-890-8202; www.gallery202online.com)
• Champ Camp -- sports and games highlighted in weekly themed groups, for students entering first through ninth grades. Some activities taught by college and Olympic athletes. Ends with a "Camp Champ Olympics." Weeklong, full-day camps held June through July at Delaware Tae Kwon Do, 5542 Rt. 23, Lewis Center. Tuition: $125; campers can also attend for $35 per day. (740-602-0528; www.delawaretkd.com)
• Gym X-Treme -- gymnastics, games and movies, for ages 6 to 12. Supervised use of foam pits, in-ground trampoline and other equipment. Weeklong, full-day camp offered June 16-20 at the Gym X-Treme facility, 7708 Green Meadows Dr., Suite A, Lewis Center. Tuition: $165. (614-573-8484; www.gymx-treme.com)
• Summer Riding Camp -- basic riding skills, horse care and safety, plus guest speakers and crafts, for ages 5 to 17. Campers can take their own horses. Weekly full- and half-day sessions offered June through August at Wingate Farm, 5106 Miller Paul Rd., Westerville. Tuition: $399 for full-day; $299 for half-day. (614-589-7434; www.wingatefarm.com)
Music, dance, drama
• Columbus Children's Theatre Summer Academy -- performing arts instruction, for ages 3 to 16. Weeklong, half- and full-day sessions run June through August in various locations, including the theater, 512 Park St. Tuition: $80 to $250. (614-224-6673 www.colschildrenstheatre.org) Also at Gallery 202
• Drama Kids International -- performing arts instruction, including speech, dramatic movement, improvisation and more, for ages 5 to 17. Weeklong, half-day sessions run in July at several locations, including Dublin, Hilliard and Westerville. Tuition: $165; $10 discount if registered by June 1. (740-549-3386; www.dramakids.com)
• Dramatic Impact Drama Camp with Candace -- inventing, rehearsing, costuming, set building and performing either Alice in Wonderland, The Elves and the Shoemaker or The Odyssey, for ages 6 to 12. A four-day "play theater" evening class is available for ages 3 to 5. Classes offered June through August at nine suburban locations and Otterbein College. Tuition: $165 to $240 ($40 to $60 for play theater class). Visit www.dramatic-impact.com and click on "Summer 2008" or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Kinderchor Children's Choir Institute -- summer choir grouped by age and musical ability, for ages 6 to 17. Includes voice lessons, theory, dance and games. Weeklong, full-day camp offered July 21-25 (some half-day sessions for younger kids) at Otterbein College in Westerville. Tuition: $300; $150 for ages 6-7. (614-823-1110; www.kinderchorohio.org)
• Summer Dance Sampler -- dance instruction including jazz, ballet, tap and hip-hop, for boys and girls age 7 and older. No experience required. Each week is different; call for details. Camps meet twice weekly for 60 minutes per session. Campers can sign up for two-, three- or four-week segments at Footsteps Family Dance Center, 8714 Cotter St., Lewis Center. Tuition: $60 for two weeks; $30 each additional week. (614-883-5599; www.footstepsfamilydance.com)
Education, technology, other interests
• Kids Invention Summer Camps -- learn the nuts and bolts of inventing with creative exercises, brainstorming and team activities (both indoors and outside), for ages 9 to 17. Weeklong, full-day camps run June through August at the Delaware County Fairgrounds, 236 Pennsylvania Ave., Delaware. Tuition: $200; $20 discount if paid by June 1; $5 discount for friends/siblings. (740-936-0254; www.youngbrightmindsandinventors
• Thurber Summer Writing Camp -- enhance creative-writing skills and make characters come to life. Includes field trips, guest speakers and writing guidance. Weeklong, full-day camps for students entering fourth through ninth grades run mid-June through early August (a weeklong, half-day camp is also available for kids entering second or third grades). Camps held separately at the Thurber Center, 91 Jefferson Ave., and the Delaware Arts Castle, 190 W. Winter St., Delaware. Tuition: $160 ($90 for half-day camp). Some scholarships available. (614-464-1032, Ext. 16; www.thurberhouse.org)
(This is an abbreviated list for the Westerville/Delaware area - full list link is above)